Mass goes online for social distancing
We are facing a strange new world.
For the first time in most of our lifetimes, we cannot go to church and worship at the table of the Lord. While this is sad, it is necessary to protect the most vulnerable members of our community, our priests and ourselves.
A dispensation from attending is currently granted and Catholics can fulfil their Sunday Mass obligation by setting aside time for prayer at home, reading the Scriptures and attending Mass on television or online. For more information, I encourage you to read the Archbishop’s statement of 23 March.
To assist families, I have listed below a number of resources currently on offer:
This one now has Daily Mass videos from Bishop Baron in the US.
You can also download an app with the Catholic Missal on Google Play:
Mass in your home
- In an Australian, context you can access Mass live streamed from St Mary’s Cathedral Daily at 5.30pm
- Sunday Mass at the Cathedral will be live streamed at 10.30 am – Archbishop Fisher will be celebrating this Mass privately.
- Fr Rob Galea is also live streaming Mass at home on his channel on Sundays
- Brisbane Archdiocese is also live streaming Mass on their website on Sundays and feast days.
- Many parishes are also offering live streamed Mass – please check your parish website.
- You can also watch on free to air TV Mass for you at Home on channel 10 at 6.00 am each Sunday. This is also available for families on FOXTEL on the Aurora channel at 10.00 am.
Please be assured that even if your priest cannot celebrate Mass with you during the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, they are celebrating Mass for you – and we thank God for all of their work!