From the Principal
Dear ISMS families,
Welcome to Term 4!
Return to School Roadmap
As recently announced, following changes to the return to school roadmap announced by the NSW Government, the ISMS return to school plan is as follows:
Monday 18 October – Transition to Stage 1, Stage 1 classes and all Kindergarten and Year 1 students in Stage 2 return;
Monday 25 October – all other ISMS students (i.e., Years 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 students) return to School.
Of course, this plan is subject to any subsequent changes that might be announced by the Government.
I remind families that the return to School settings remain as announced in the School newsletter last term (see below). Additionally, with the health and safety of our students and staff foremost in mind, all staff on ISMS school sites from Monday 18 October will need to be fully (double) vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine.
Infant Community Programs
Except for the Transition to Stage 1 classes, as mentioned above, Infant Community programs for Term 4 will be online programs. Information regarding this has been provided to families. Please contact the School Office if you have any queries regarding these programs.
Return to School Settings
In the health and wellbeing interests of our School community and of the wider communities of the Inner-West and Greater Sydney, and in keeping with advice from the NSW Government, the following back to school settings will apply as children return to on-site learning at School and until such time as the Government advice changes:
- activities and play arrangements will be confined to stage-based cohorts (e.g., Stage 2 and 3 children will not play together);
- drop-off and pick-up times will be staggered for each stage in the School – details regarding this will be sent to families later this week;
- singing, chanting, group repetition, choirs, bands and ensembles will not be permitted on site;
- no music instrument tuition or before and after school clubs will take place on site;
- assemblies, school performances, concerts, excursions, camps and off-site activities will not take place;
- the wearing of face masks will be strongly recommended for all primary (Kindergarten to Year 6) children;
- as is currently the case, all staff will be required to wear face masks at all times, both inside and outside, while at School;
- non-essential visitors (including all parents) will not be permitted on the School site;
- allied health partners (speech pathologists and occupational therapists) will be permitted on the School site to operate in a COVID-19 safe way;
- all essential visitors to the School site will be required to wear face masks and sign in using the Service NSW QR code;
- further advice will be provided by the NSW Government during Term 4 regarding graduations and end of year celebrations.
Current cleaning regimes will continue on our School sites, including our focus upon the regular cleaning throughout the day of targeted high-touch areas such as door handles, light switches and handrails in stairways and movement areas.
Our staff will continue to ensure good ventilation in classrooms through the use of windows and doorways. Additionally, the School is continuing to seek advice regarding mechanical ventilation, air monitoring and air filtering across our campuses. I hope to announce more about this soon.
Physical Distancing and Face Masks
Our staff will continue to practise physical distancing at School, where appropriate and will wear face masks, both indoors and outdoors. Parents are also asked to physically distance from others and to wear face masks when in the School precinct (i.e., at drop-off and pick-up times).
After over twenty years of excellent service to ISMS, Sintonia Assistant Joumana Khachan has submitted her resignation from the School. Joumana’s last day at School will be this Friday 15 October 2021. Joumana joined the School in January 2001 and has been a much loved and valued Director, Assistant and colleague ever since. Joumana is highly esteemed by colleagues, children and families alike and will be greatly missed. A knowledgeable and skilled Montessorian, Joumana has contributed much to the School educationally, collegially and pastorally over her nearly 21 years at ISMS. We thank Joumana for her outstanding commitment and service to ISMS over the years and wish her every happiness for the future.